Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Scrap Happy Quilt

Here is the quilt top of a scrappy quilt.  Sorry I forgot to take pictures.  Please let me know if my directions don't make sense.  I will make some samples if needed.

This is a twin bed size that is going to be for my granddaughter.
I thought I took pictures of how to make it, but I guess I didn't.
So here are the directions:
Everything was pieced onto foundation fabric.  I bought a queen size sheet from the thrift store and cut it into my foundation pieces.
The squares were cut 12 1/2" X 12 1/2".  The strips between the squares were cut 3 1/2" wide and the width of the sheet.  All seams are 1/4"
Fold the squares into a triangle and press the fold line.  This is used as a guide.  Lay a piece of fabric on one corner with the crease in it and center the crease below the corner fabric.  Add the next strip with right sides together and sew.  The strips I used are not all the same width on both ends of that strip of fabric.  If you look closely you will see how the angle slightly changes.  Some strips are pieced before sewing to the foundation fabric also.  After the foundation square is covered turn it over and trim off all excess fabric.
Piece the 3 1/2" strips of fabric the same way (no crease line needed).  Just be sure to change the angle of the strips every so often and piece some little pieces together before sewing to the foundation strip.
Cut the long strip into as many 12 1/2" strips as needed and sew them to the squares.  Add the long strips that connect each row.  Sew the foundation strips together if needed before adding the scraps.

 The following pictures are from a different project, but the concept is the same.

 Right sides together.  Sew it 1/4 inch seams.

 Flip the strip over and press.  Continue until all strips are added.  Don't skip the pressing.  This is where my TV tray pressing board came in very handy.

Trim off excess fabric to match foundation piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment