Sunday, November 15, 2015

Princess Elsa Dress

I went to Hancock Fabrics one day and the specialty fabrics were $3.77 a yard.  I wanted to make a Princess Elsa dress for my granddaughter.  She wasn't too happy about the fabric colors when I first came home with them.  I kept telling her that it was a Princess Elsa "STYLE" dress then and that was better.  I finally finished the dress yesterday and took it to her today and she loves it.

Here is the pattern.

Here she is with her dress.  Now she calls it her Princess Elsa dress.  It is long, but she is happy to know that it will fit her for a long time and wants high-heals for now.  

Princess Amber Dress

My niece wanted to be Princess Sophia for Halloween and her sister to be Princess Amber.  Well Amber dresses are nowhere to be found, so I made one.  Here it is.

I used these patterns to create the dress.  The Snow White dress was the pattern I used without the sleeves.  I used the sleeves from the Princess Elsa dress.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Summertime Quilt

My newest completed quilt is called Summertime.  It is from The Quilter magazine July 2005 page 20.
This quilt is about 92" by 107"  That is what the pattern says.  I haven't actually measured mine.

Here is the finished quilt.  It is a log cabin style with one half of the strips narrower than the other half.  In my case it is the blue.  I didn't want the blue to overpower the quilt.

Here is a sample of the binding.  I used strips from all of the fabric on the front of the quilt to make the binding.  I also cut the binding strips different lengths.  That made it easier to use scraps and make the strips at the end piece together nicely.

Here is a picture of what each square looks like.

Here you can see how each square is turned a different direction, which makes the overall zig-zag design.

Can you see the seam halfway between the binding and the bottom of the picture.  If not then I am glad.  That seam caused me to name the quilt Sunflowers from Hell while I was quilting it.
I quilted this quilt on my mom's quilting machine.  I carefully quilted the sunflower border to make it look like a border if you looked closely.  I got to the end of the quilt and found that I was 8 inches short for what I need on the quilting machine.  About 6 inches short of the quilt front.
I had one small piece of fabric left.  I cut it into 4 pieces each about 8 inches long and 27 inches wide. That was all the fabric I had.  I sewed the strips together on the sewing machine and got a piece then that was 8 inches by 108 inches.
I then had to sew the 108 inch long strip onto the backing that was on the quilting machine by hand.
I sewed the tiniest stitches I could.  Knotted it every couple of feet. And had very sore fingers by the time I was done.  Thus the name Sunflowers from Hell.  Thankfully there was enough fabric to finish the backing.
So much for my nice design of making the sunflower border having it's quilting look like it was making a border.  I quilted as close to the edge as I could and was ready to chop most of the border off, but mom talked me out of it.  I'm glad she did.
I actually love this quilt and should give it a nice name. LOL.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Dress for Granddaughter - Anna and Elsa Fabric

My mom and I were shopping and found this cute dress made of pale blue prints.  We asked for the pattern and this is what it was.

I would never have bought this pattern for the dress that is pictured on it.

Well with the blue dress in mind, I took my granddaughter shopping for fabric.  This is what I made for her out of the above pattern.

It is hard to see from the picture, but the printed fabrics have swirls or snowflakes.  The white has white swirls.

Here she is wearing it so I could take a picture.