Saturday, January 14, 2012

Making Infinity/Eternity Scarves




Infinity Scarf Instructions

Here is the one yard piece of wool I had.  I washed and dried my wool before making this scarf, so I can wash it later and not have it shrink.  I trimmed the ends and cut off the selvage edges and fold.  I ended up with 2 pieces of fabric that were 27" x 35".


Put right sides together (no right and wrong sides on this wool) and sew along the 27" edge. I used the edge of my presser foot as my guide along the raw edge.  This made the seam about 3/8 inch wide.  Then sew another seam closer to the raw edge.  A double seam is needed since the fabric ravels.


Do the same thing again down the long edge of the scarf.  Except start two inches from one end and stop two inches before the next end.


 Here is the long edge sewn.


 Now match the remaining 27" ends and sew them together the same as the other seams.


 Press the seams. Press one edge of the now 3 1/2 inch opening under the width of the seam allowance.


 Insert a narrow piece of Stitch Witchery that is cut the length of the opening.


 Spray with water to get the Stitch Witchery damp.  It won't stay stuck if  it doesn't get wet enough.


 Press until the fabric is dry.


 Here is the finished scarf flat.  It is 13 1/2"wide X 69" long.


Here it is how it will be worn.  I made this extra wide so it would keep my neck warm in the winter.  It can also be pulled up around my ears to keep them warm too.



Another Infinity Scarf.


This is the same size piece of fabric as the wool one.  This is some type of silky fabric that I bought about 10 years ago.  I cut it into thirds instead of half like the wool one was cut.

This was sewn the same as the wool one, except that the second seam was a zig-zag stitch since this fabric unravels even more that the wool.


 Here is the finished scarf folded in half.  It is 6 1/2 " wide by 101" long.


This one will be worn with three loops or maybe even four.

No comments:

Post a Comment