Friday, January 20, 2012

I Spy Quilt

This quilt is one of my favorites, but it took a long time to make.  It is about lap size.  I wanted it to be bigger, but I wanted it to be finished even more.

I made this quilt several years ago.  I think it took me a year or more to finish it.  It was a quilt that I had thought about making many time.  I keep telling myself to forget it, because I required so many different fabrics or prints with many different things.  It also wasted a lot of fabric, since holes would be cut all over in it.  Then I saw a yard sale advertised that was fabric only.  How could I resist?  When I got there the lady had a big bag of fabric with holes cut out all over the fabric.  She had made an "I Spy" quilt and was giving her cut up pieces away.  No need to tell you where the scraps went.  I would guess about 1/4 of the hexagons came from that bag of scraps.


Each hexagon is individual cut, so that the desired design are centered as best as possible. This is called "fussy cut".  When sewing hexagons together you have to stop 1/4 inch from each corner so the next piece will fit properly.  That is the part that takes so much time.  FYI - all quilts are sewn with 1/4 inch seam allowances.


Here is another close-up of some of the hexagons.  This quilt was stippled with variegated thread on a quilting machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment