Friday, January 4, 2013

Orange Batik T-Shirt Remake

For this t-shirt a disappearing ink pen helped mark the cutting lines.

Here is the original shirt.  I like 3/4 length sleeve, but the lace neckline lace just wasn't me.

I tried on the shirt and decided on a new sleeve length.  I marked it with a pin. Then I measured that distance from the sleeve hem to the new cut line and placed dots with the disappearing maker and cut along the dots.

Here is a zoomed out view of the cut off sleeve.

I tired it on and decided I wanted a cap sleeve instead.  I used the marker again and placed dots along a shape I thought I would like. Put the two pieces on the other sleeve and cut it to match the new shape. It was hot the day I remade this shirt.  That is probably why I kept changing the sleeve length.

The sleeve opening was too big now, so I pinned where I wanted it to be.

I took the lace off of the neckline and divided the neckline into quarter.

 
I did the same with the lace.

There were a lot of tiny holes along the old stitching line.  I pinned the lace edge to match along the old stitching line, matching the quarter marks of the shirt with the lace trim quarter marks. Lace seam is at center back.

Then sewed it on with right sides together.

Trimmed the shirt neckline to match the lace edge.

 Folded the lace to the inside and top-stitched it down using the foot as the guide.

 Turned it to the right side and stitched a second row using my foot as the guide.

Then I sewed a new underarm seam line.

Trimmed off the extra fabric and hemmed the sleeves.
Here is the new finished shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment