Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Making Shorter Sleeves, Headband and Ponytail Holders

This shirt is 92% polyester and 8% spandex.

I love the shirt, but have never worn it, because I hate the sleeves.  I love 3/4 length sleeves, but they just don't look right on this shirt when it is on me.  I didn't try it on when I bought it. I was only about 3 or 4 dollars from a thrift store and I was sure it was perfect as it was.



I cut 5 1/2 inches off of each sleeve.  Then I used one cut off piece to practice a rolled edge hem on my serger until I got the same thread thickness and width as the original hem.

The sleeve length now ends just above my elbow.  I took the bottom of the original sleeves and cut them 1 1/2 inches inches wide and serged the new cut edge.  I cut another piece 2 1/2 inches wide for a headband.  I did not serge that piece.  Serging takes away some of the stretch, which is fine for the ponytail holders, but not for a headband that needs a lot of stretch when it is from a sleeve.

The finished hair accessories.  They have been tried on.  Because of the material they spring back into shape and the headband doesn't ravel.


No comments:

Post a Comment